After I prepared these purees the smell really put me off. When I told my parents what they contained, my parents were appalled. But Sophia is loving them. Try at your own risk.
- Strawberries 1 punnet
- Bittergoard one 2 finger thick slice
- Purple chinese spinach 5 stalks
- Wash and chop up bittergoard and strawberries.
- Pluck leaves off chinese spinach and peel off fibrous outer layer of stem.
- Steam for 5 minutes
- Drain off excess liquid and blend
- Approximately 200g of cod fish
- 1 purple potato
- 5 stalks of purple chinese spinach
- 4 strawberries
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoons butter
- Peel and slice one clove of garlic. Peel the other clove and set aside.
- Peel and chop potatoes into 1cm cubes.
- Cut strawberries into halves and remove stem
- Pluck leaves off spinach and remove fibrous outer layer from stem
- Fry sliced garlic in butter till golden
- Add cod and lightly brown both sides
- Add potatoes and half a cup of water
- Simmer till cod cooked through and potatoes are soft. Turn up the flame to reduce the water till a thick stew forms. Meanwhile add spinach and stir
- Once sufficiently thick remove from heat and add strawberries and remaining garlic clove. If spinach wilts before stew thickens, remove it from stew to prevent overcooking it.
- Blend mixture.
Sophia gives both these recipes her stamp of approval despite the strong bittergoard taste in the first and the pungent garlic in the second. She’s a weirdo but I’m loving it.